Sunday morning hospitality routine
Sunday Morning Coffee Time Tasks/Schedule
Feel free to split the tasks into two shifts among your team’s helpers
9:00 - 9:30 a.m. SETUP
From closet in back hall of kitchen (which will have been unlocked by the custodian):
• Get two long plastic tablecloths and put them on serving tables in Good Shepherd Hall
• Get the four money jars (box labeled Sunday Morning Coffee). Two go on coffee carts, two on the serving table. (They are labeled accordingly.)
• Get a stack of white napkins from this closet and place them on the serving tables.
From white closet next to fridge/freezer, get out 5-7 plastic oval trays (about eye level on shelf).
From freezer, get the cookies/muffins/treats that are labeled "Sunday AM". (We generally go through 5-8 trays of treats per Sunday.) Place the treats on the serving trays, allowing time for thawing of items. For the muffins, it may be wise to thaw them briefly in the convection oven at 150 degrees on a large silver sheet pan for 10 minutes to take the chill off. Cookies seem to thaw quickly enough on their own when placed on the trays.
Underneath the large coffee maker in the kitchen are silver water pitchers. Let the cold water tap run for a while (it stays warm for a long time because the hot water boiler pipe runs parallel to the cold water pipe...) and fill 8-10 sliver pitchers with drinking water and place on a shelf in the fridge, with the coldest ones going straight out to the serving tables.
Using a rolling cart, bring two racks of drinking water glasses out to Good Shepherd Hall and place 20-24 glasses on the end of the table closest to the wall. The glasses are stored underneath the counter that separates the kitchen area from the dishwasher/table/doorway area. The glasses can be filled from the chilled silver pitchers brought out just prior to 10:00 a.m. or when the 1st service gets out.
9:30 - 10:45 a.m. HOSTING
As the morning progresses:
• Keep the table stocked with drinking water in glasses
• Keep the treat trays filled, consolidating trays as they become emptied
• Host the table, making sure that everyone feels welcome and that kids (well, everyone...) understands that to ensure that everyone is able to have a treat, there are limits on what they are able to take (one...maybe two.)
10:45 - CLEANUP
• Wash and dry the plastic oval trays by hand and return them to the closet
• Wipe off the tablecloths, fold them, and place them back in the back hall closet.
• From the office, get the Sunday Morning Coffee Money bank envelope (usually in Janet Johnson’s box) and in it put the contents of the four money jars. Return this envelope to the office. It gets placed in the safe/drop box.
• Roll the cart back into the kitchen and put away any unused glassware.
Thank you for helping provide hospitality at Westwood!