Childhood Center (WECC)
Westwood Early Childhood Center is a ministry of Westwood Lutheran Church and offers a year-round early care and education experience where your child begins the adventure of social, cognitive, and spiritual development. Our comprehensive program serves infants, toddlers, and preschoolers, in addition to providing nursery school and a PreK/Kindergarten classroom. Enriched classroom environments and experiences are provided by educated teaching teams. Caregivers collaborate with parents and colleagues, planning for the individuality and gifts of each unique child as they foster a community of learners.
Westwood’s Curriculum focuses on:
- High Scope, a research-based pedagogy that promotes “active participatory learning” within a framework emphasizing “interdependence, curiosity, decision-making, cooperation, persistence, creativity, and problem solving.”
- The Reggio Emilia Philosophy, which emphasizes that the way in which each child (and each man and woman) learns about and interprets the world, constructing his or her knowledge, is unique and subjective.
- The use of observation and documentation as caregivers respectfully support the whole child’s learning and development.
- Active learning through daily nature experiences in our Nature Explore certified outdoor classrooms.
- Consistent, intentional engagement in age-appropriate art and music opportunities led by professionally-trained staff and volunteers.
- The fulfillment of Westwood Lutheran Church’s mission through participation in mealtime prayer, weekly chapel, and the opportunity to take part in the church’s Early Childhood Ministry programs.
Consistency and routines established with caregivers and environments provide emotional stability, enabling learning and growth. Each child has a primary caregiver responsible for fostering his or her well-being and development. Detailed daily reports document development, while regular parent conferences focus on objectives, progress, and goals. Primary caregivers are skilled and passionate about child development and education.
Our learning environment provides ample space for each child in our eight Reggio-inspired classrooms, gymnasium, library, and worship sanctuary. Outside, the fenced playground, flower gardens, berm and deck overlook Hannon Lake’s wooded shore.
What others are saying about WECC
“I feel that when I am leaving Michael at WECC I am leaving him with family in the best sense of that word. The staff takes more than simple interest in the children. They truly take ownership of their development as people and in building a close-knit, supportive environment.”
“WECC is not only a top quality child care center; it is a nurturing and loving environment with a Christian focus. Both of our children knew how to pray before they could talk.”
“One day when I picked up Matthew we drove past the play area outside and Matthew said “Good-bye my friends.” And now he says that every day when we go home.”
ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church of America)
ELEA (Evangelical Lutheran Education Association)
NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children)\
Breakfast, hot lunches, and snacks are served daily.
Hours of operation: 7:00am – 5:45pm
Some short-term financial aid is available through the church for families in need.
Applications available upon request.
Call 952-545-5624 or email inquiry form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, check out our news and curriculum pages!